Rhys Williams (1912-2001)
Rhys Williams devoted a lifetime to the development of sport in Lindsay. Quietly effective, Rhys was the “glue” behind the scenes that made many sporting opportunities possible for area youth. Although a dedicated player and promoter of softball, baseball, badminton, curling and hockey, Rhys is best remembered as an ardent conservationist and the major force in the development of tennis as a sport in Lindsay. In the late 1950s, Rhys rejuvenated the game; he leased property on Elgin Street and Angeline, raised funds to build a court and started the Lindsay Tennis club. The club thrived due to his efforts and tennis became an important component in Lindsay’s recreational mix.